Skip to content
Thanks to our sponsors for their support

Author Topic: Lothian Flyer RR  (Read 5677 times)

AngusE

• Forum member
Lothian Flyer RR
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
The Lothian Flyer RR was held in Stobo on Saturday in near perfect conditions with a light breeze and plenty of sun.  The field gathered at the village hall ready to tackle the 6 (and a half) laps of a circuit which consisted of a very narrow stepped climb followed by a fast twisty descent. After this, the route turned left onto a wider road which takes you back to the base of the climb with a very sharp corner.

The group stayed together for a majority of the race with any attacks being promptly chased down. Neil Taylor attacked a couple of miles before the climb on lap 3, and just managed to hold off the chasing peloton to take the first hill prime. The king of the mountains prize was obviously a big aim for him as he took the 2nd and final hill prime on lap 5 too. From my point of view my legs were feeling strong and I knew that getting positioned towards the front of the bunch before the narrow climb was key to staying out of trouble and in contention. After launching 2 or 3 attacks at various parts of the circuit, it became very clear that the peloton weren’t going to let anybody get away so instead I spent the last couple of laps practising getting into position before the sharp left-hander at the start of the climb.

The finish was situated 500m or so up a steep winding hill just off the circuit following the climb. I managed to position myself in the top 20 before the climb, still slightly too far back for my liking and was trying everything to move up the group towards the front. There was a short fast section before the turn off where the bunch strung out slightly and gave me the opportunity to move up, this meant I hit the bottom of the finishing climb in the top 10. The climb suited me perfectly with it being almost a pure ‘power’ climb so I was able to move round a lot of riders on the climb and cross the line in 4th place, just ahead of Neil and Ian. Up ahead, Richard McDonald from Stirling RC just managed to pip John Young and Jamie Maxwell on the line to take a very well deserved win.

Well done to all the riders who competed and thanks to the marshals and organisers for a very well run event.

1st - Richard McDonald, Stirling BC
2nd - John Young, Velo Ecosse
[3rd - Jamie Maxwell, Edinburgh University CC (3rd cat, so not officially placed)]
4th - Angus Elliott, Edinburgh RC
5th - Neil Taylor, Edinburgh RC
6th - Jonathan Buckley, West Lothian Clarion
7th - Ian Wallace, Edinburgh RC
8th - Paul Gibson, Ayr Roads
9th - Mark McNulty, Ayrodynamic
10th- Garry Cross, Falkirk BC
11th- Steve McClusky, Glasgow South

Scott

• Forum member
Re: Lothian Flyer RR
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
remember the girls????

1st Lady - Jay Burgess Sandy Wallace Cycles
"SMELL THE TOAST!"

neil_in_oz

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
remember the girls????

but that's only one girl not "girls". What about the rest?
The older I get, the faster I was! :P

Matthew

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any photos from the race?

Whitson

• attachers
  • Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
remember the girls????

but that's only one girl not "girls". What about the rest?

FINISH SHEET Attached.  There were a few rider numbers that were not clear on the photo finish.  You may know who you were ?                Ken / Calum / Graham.
Impossible is only an opinion.

grantus

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »
Hi Ken,

Grant Thomson, number 51, should be down as a DNF.

I got lapped near the end and pulled out - don't know how I got in there as I didn't go up to the finish

Cameron Stewart

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Another Race report

In the car on the way down Dougal Allen and I sat with the usual nervous anticipation before a race talking about, wind direction, details of the course and how many points would be awarded, as if any of it really mattered. I wasn't a bit nervous about the race which was good however I was absolutely sxxxxing myself about my new Trek tied to the car roof bars with cable ties, (interesting tactic for those who suffer from pre race nerves)

Anyway got there, signed in, all going well, as usual felt exhausted one mile into the warm up and wanted to lie down. We had a ride up the steep 1km finish which Ken later told us was 500m, I thought it went quick. Back to the start, 12 ERC starters 2 good looking ones.

Off on time, first lap, easy, although a "lady" (feel sorry for her Bow) gave all us guys the swearing of a lifetime on the first hairpin. Our two girls probably hung back just out of earshot at this point (another interesting tactic!)

Second lap a bit faster Bill amongst others lost his water bottle going through a pot hole so I let him have some of my Robinsons (well it worked for John McEnroe) Pace Higher, Neil off the front, he came back after a mile or two and I told him to save it for later. Which he did winning both primes (well done) with what looked like ease.

Lap 5 big pothole my turn to loose my now almost empty bottle, Matt gave me another and went off the front until just before the last lap. Lots of ERC at the front looking good for Dougals "as cunning as a fox what was professor of cunning at Oxford University but was moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High Commission of Cunning Planning", plan to do an ERC block on the narrow last hill and let Neil away finally to victory.......... Didn'y work.........  I did notice Dougal had been a spectator since about lap 4. (puncture)

I got to the top of the last hill in 2nd place, after Bill had said we would never get through the bunch, exhausted, needing that lie down even more now. I had nothing left for the finish and quickly went to 22nd place trying to throw up over the line as Colin caught me to stop me falling to the road. The problem ........47itis again.

Great race, great ERC support form marshals, thanks to them, Calum, Ken and everyone.

Well done Angus,Neil and Ian great rides

Cameron

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines