Skip to content
Thanks to our sponsors for their support

Author Topic: Lothian Flyer 2012 - Race Report  (Read 7812 times)

calumm

• Forum member
Lothian Flyer 2012 - Race Report
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
Despite the downpours, ERC put in a scorching performance at today's Lothian Flyer.  I think there were 4 ERC riders in the top 10 - and most notably:

Les Ross - 1st place in a closely fought hill finish
John Myburgh - 4th place

In a particularly fast-paced edition of this popular race - sponsored and keenly supported as ever by Sheila Spence - ERC riders seemed to be working well together, and putting in some great efforts.  Hopefully someone who was in the race, and can remember all the relevant placings can fill in the details.

Well done all - and thanks to Jonny May for organising.

Jonny May

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
Re: Lothian Flyer 2012 - Race Report
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »
Many thanks to everyone who helped out today including chief comm. Andy McKinlay, assistant comm. Andy Laing, trainee comm. Russell Davidson, NEG Scotland riders Alan Kempster, Clint Smith & John Muirhead, Janette Hazlett at SC and the many Edinburgh RC volunteers who stood out in the rain or drove race vehicles. Results courtesy of Bill Dunscombe SC photofinish operator:

Pos   Name      Team    Time
1   Les   Ross   Edinburgh RC   01:47:06
2   Drew   Sharkey   TheBicycleWorks.com   4
3   George   Roberts   VC Glasgow South   6
4   John   Myburgh   Edinburgh RC   8
5   Richard   Provan   Glasgow Couriers   st
6   Steve   Macluskie   VC Glasgow South   st
7   David   Hamill   Pedal Power RT   st
8   Graeme   Scott   Edinburgh RC   12
9   Jarlath   Flynn   Edinburgh RC   13

10   Owen   Philipson   Stirling Bike Club   st
11   David   Dalziel   Glasgow Nightingale CC   st
12   Paul   Friel   Glasgow Couriers   st
13   Michael   Paton   Falkirk BC   st
14   Michael   Robb   Ayr Roads Cycling Club   st
15   Simon   Kenny   West Lothian Clarion CC   st
16   Malcolm   Dunlop   TheBicycleWorks.com   20
17   John   Dunlop   Loudoun RC   st
18   Marek   Jurasinski   Edinburgh RC   21
19   John-Paul   Baxter   Ayr Roads Cycling Club   28
20   Ronnie   Burns   VC Glasgow South   40
21   Dougal   Allan   Edinburgh RC   51
22   Douglas   Pender   Glasgow Nightingale CC   53
23   Colin   McLellan   VC Edinburgh   56
24   Samuel   Shaw   Stirling Bike Club   st
25   Timothy   Caine   Berwick Wheelers CC   01:03
26   Robert   Kelly   Ayr Roads Cycling Club   01:08
27   Georges   Avraam   Edinburgh RC   02:19
28   David   Laurie   Glasgow Nightingale CC   06:50
29   Ian   Wallace   Edinburgh RC   07:15
30   Ciaran   Mallon   VC Glasgow South   07:25
31   Oscar   Marletta   VC Glasgow South   st
32   Iain   Elliott   West Lothian Clarion CC   07:38
33   Matthew   Allen   Edinburgh RC   08:01
34   Gordon   Jackson   Hawick CC   09:36
35   Graham   Gillooly   West Lothian Clarion CC   10:32
36   Calum   Ross   Loudoun RC   st
37   Kris   Lindsay   Edinburgh RC   st
38   Neil   Adamson   Glasgow Couriers   10:47
39   Ross   Strachan   Loudoun RC   10:50
40   Alexander   McAllister   Ayr Roads Cycling Club   10:51
41   Christopher   McConnell   Unattached   15:42
42   Andrew   Douglas   Pedal Power RT   15:45
43   David   Fulton   Ayr Roads Cycling Club   18:43
44   Stuart   Davis   Edinburgh RC   21:49

Special thanks also to race sponsor Sheila Spence & her sister Liz and to Hugh Seymour of Stobo Home Farm for the kind use of his field for parking.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:54:34 PM by Jonny May »

TomK

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:33:29 PM »
Congrats Les, thats a fantastic result.

Tom.

windsurfer

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
Great result Les. Clearly unaffected by a spot of rain.
Ewan

neil_in_oz

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
Winnah!!! Well done Les.
Great to see ERC are back on form.
The older I get, the faster I was! :P

marekj

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Congratulations to ERCs perennial "under achiever", great ride Les, well deserved.
Huge thanks to everyone involved in todays race, another faultless ERC promotion.

GeoAngus

• Forum member
  • I am Spartacus

Eric

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
Now the odds-on favourite for the Black Pudding Challenge.

Great ride, congratulations

Les R

• attachers
  • Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
Lothian Flyer – 16th June 2012

To say it was dreich when we arrived in Stobo on Saturday morning would be a bit of an understatement, it was p*ssing down.   There was a certain sense of déjà vu as we had had the same weather last year at this event.    ERC were well represented with 13 riders signing on, including a return to racing for Dougal Allan.  

Undeterred by the rain a few of us set off for a warm up lap, it quickly became apparent that the corners were treacherous and the usual potholes were there on the descent.   The race consists of 6 full laps of a rolling circuit, followed by one final run up the main climbs of the lap before a short descent and then turns off on to a steep single track side road, the finish line being 600m up this road.

Before we knew it we were off and I was in my usual all too familiar place right at the back of the pack, the usual first lap jitters a couple of riders off at the turn at the far end of the course then a few more at the next corner.  Hopefully their injuries were not too severe.  Sandra, who was on first aid duty, did not seem to flustered at the end so hopefully nothing more serious than a little road rash.  

Second lap and John Myburgh tried an attack as we came along the flatter section back towards the start of the lap.  He got away with two other riders, a small group tried to bridge across to them and I got on the back of this group but it all came back together again fairly quickly.  We had a bit of headwind as we headed along this section of the course making it hard for a break to stay away.  

On each lap the field would be strung out on the climb and descent then regroup on the section back to the start of the climbs, numbers seem to dwindle as the laps progressed.  Lap three saw a few surges on the flat section.  

On the fourth lap I decided to see if I could get away on the flat section, as soon as we came round the sharp corner at the far end of the course I accelerated hard, bit of a back wheel slide in the next corner made for a tense moment as I tried to force a gap.    A rider came along side me shouting “come on lets make this work”, I was pleased to see that it was Drew Sharkey of The Bicycleworks, I knew he was going well and was an accomplished time trialist, if we were going to get away this was a good chance, we both worked hard rolling turns and we seemed to have a gap at one point.  Frustratingly a third rider, from VC Glasgow South, had come across with us but refused to work, despite our vocal encouragement!!  Turns out he had been tasked with marking any move by ERC.  Our efforts proved fruitless and it all came back together as we reached the start of the 5th lap.  

The 5th lap was fairly uneventful, a bit of a chain-gang got going towards the end of the lap, which lifted the pace for a while but we were still a group of c.25 riders as we started lap 6.  The pace was fairly steady as we turned at the far end of the course; I was too far back in the bunch and tried to move forward but did not make much progress as everyone had the same idea.  It seemed as though people were resigned to an uphill sprint to the finish line, I spotted Dougal heading to the front of the pack to lift the pace but the group remained in tack.  

As we turned to start the climb for last time Drew Sharkey went off the front again, I was in the wrong place to be able to go with him.  Drew got away and had 50m on the pack and was accelerating away but there was still a couple of climbs to go never mind the finishing climb.  As we climbed the first ascent I began to make up places, up the next rise and I passed Jarlath and John who were near the front, then I could see Drew up ahead, I pressed on and as I caught him I could see he was paying for his attack.  Suddenly I realised I was at the front of the race, I clicked up a couple of gears and buried myself on the flat section before the small descent.    I could not hear anyone behind me and dare not look back, all I was thinking of is get as much as a run up on to the brutal final climb as possible, to try and hold off the pack.  Before I knew it I was on the climb and had reached the 200m to go flag, these seemed like the longest 200m of the day, legs screaming all momentum seemed to drain from the bike I just kept digging and eventually reaching the finish line, allowing myself a quick glimpse over my shoulder, Drew was not far behind taking second place with George Roberts of VC Glasgow South taking third place.   Amazingly and much to my surprise I had just won a road race!!

It was a good day for ERC, with 4 of us in the top 10 and Marek and Dougal not much further back.  Well done to Kris Lindsay competing in his first road race and commiserations to Tom Ward who punctured on lap 1 or 2.  

Thanks to Jonny May and the army of ERC members who gave up their time to make this event possible, we really appreciate this.   Also, thanks to Sheila Spence for her continued enthusiastic support for the race and to all those people who stood in the rain to cheer on the riders.

Les

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:50:49 PM by Les R »

Jarlath

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
Great ride Les and it was a great ride by ERC as a team.  From my view point the race went very well. Perhaps the biggest scare was on lap 1 when 2 x Glasgow south riders got a decent gap and we  had no one up there with them . John Myburgh dug deep and reduced the gap and they fell back into the bunch. I managed to jump away with a Bikeworks rider on lap 1 and I too had my  back wheel slide out from under me  at top speed, I still don’t know how I did not crash down.  My plan was to stay up at the front and to jump in any breaks with VC Glasgow / Pedal Power or BikeWorks as they were the strongest teams in the race and in theory would not chase down if a break got away. I tried again in lap two but quickly discovered that breaks were not going to work.  I was now very tired but still hung on to my top 5 position and tried to recover for the next couple of laps. I was delighted when Les and the Bikeworks rider got away . I did my job at the front and soft pedalled and they got maybe 20 seconds on the bunch . I  had discussions with the 3 vc Glasgow  guys wondering why they had no one in the break as I was convinced if they sent a rider up the road the break of 4 riders  would stick as ERC would not chase as Les was up the road. One of then tried to bridge the gap but failed and then before we knew it the break was reeled back in .
Dougal and Georges hit the front on the last lap which kept the pace nice and high coming to the hairpin bend at the bottom of the last climb.  John , Les, Graeme Scott ,  Dougal a I were  in the top ten after the bend which was in our plan at the start of the race ….”Hit that corner in the top 10 !” On the way up the climb I felt great  but as soon as the Bikeworks rider attacked  I did not have the burst to stay with him. I managed to compose my self and draft the 5th placed rider. I got boxed in  a little in the last km  on the decent and lost a few places going into the finishing climb. It was a great feeling as my legs burned like they never burned before on the last 500m of climb, seeing a red blur ( Les)  gradually get away from a black blur (Drew Sharky The BikeWorks) to take the victory.  I was also delighted   to see my team mate John Myburgh grab 4th …… Graeme Scott past me a few meters out to take 8th and I rolled in 9th 13 seconds after the winner Les Ross…… the longest 13 second of my life 

The ERC Race team is really coming together, we had a squad meeting on Thursday night in Alpine bikes . At the meeting we discussed all the things we have done up to now from winter training , group rides , coaching sessions through to  social aspects. Riders were given an open floor to air their views on what has gone well and what needs improving to make the experience of riding for ERC as enjoyable and productive as possible.

The Squad would like to thank Alpine Bikes for providing a free service for our bikes before each race.  The squad would also like to thank our other sponsors  including Field and Lawn who cover the expenses of squad riders for our target races.  The riders greatly appreciate the help from these sponsors.

GeoAngus

• Forum member
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
"Now the odds-on favourite for the Black Pudding Challenge."
Alas Les has made a huge tactical error.

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14265.0

"I hereby issue a BLACK PUDDING CHALLENGE to everyone on the fast 940.

This to the fastest 10 time of the season:

http://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/black-pudding-gift-box.aspx

NB This competition is not open to anyone who is any good."

Matthew

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
Some more nice photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59559823@N07/tags/lothianflyer2012/

(Thanks to Sandy Auston!)

neil_in_oz

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
Good photo-set with a few arty ones thrown in :)
The older I get, the faster I was! :P

admin

• Administrator
  • Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
Sandy Auston kindly gave us permission to use this image on the website:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines