Present: Simon Bullock, Colin Russell, Jen Lang, Ken Whitson, Jonny May, Graham Jones, Dougal Allan, Cliff White, Peter Ness
Apologies: Gareth George, Phil Darby
The previous meetings minutes were agreed as a true record.
Things Presented & Agreed
1. No monetary figures to be put in the committee minutes which are made public on the website. These are made available to the membership at the clubs AGM. 2. 1st aid qualification information is to be made available to GJ for input into the membership database. 3. CW presented a coaching pathway document he had prepared. This was well received and a discussion then followed on how to move this forward. 4. Ken Russell had forwarded a request from a third party cycling club who were looking for his expertise on presenting a road racing talk. The committee discussed this and agreed it was ok for Ken to go ahead with this. 5. Approached about the possibility of part funding a regional development coach if Edinburgh Council funding is withdrawn. This would have to fit into our 3 year plan.
* JM to remove monetary figures from draft committee minutes prior to posting on club website * CR to provide 1st aid qualification info to GJ for input into the membership database * CW & KW to form a sub-committee to drive forward the coaching pathway and provide monthly updates on progress. * DA to chase for marshals at Eastern Promise * JM to contact Oisin again re Claire McCauley Ingliston prize * SB to put 3 year plan discussion on next months agenda * CW to decide on MTB trophy requirements * GJ to put sticky post at top of club forums with a disclaimer on information discussed therein and a general safety message * DA to add Tuesday rides to the Whats on? section of the website * DA to speak to Anne Ewing re wearing club jersey in races
* Craigmillar project has been given the green light by the council & Police to run events. Waiting for en event permit. * Marshals required for the Eastern Promise. Vice President
* Scottish Cycling: Sponsorship received from Scottish Cycling for Ingliston Series. * Martin Currie - Bid submitted in January for Youth and Junior sponsorship. Additional justification information requested and sent to them in April. Outcome, however, still awaited. Understand, however, that they are still considering our request! * 7 potential sponsors, forwarded by Edinburgh Council, have been approached. No responses received from enquiries sent out. * No new initiatives currently in pipeline
* Bethany Christian Trust Sportive 5/6/10 - advertised on club forum. * Enquiry received from Barrie Caird re organizing a charity swim across the Firth of Forth. * Query received from Claire MacAulay re Ingliston Crit prizes - forwarded to Oisin Murphy-Lawless. (Oisin has still to respond to e-mails dated 14/5/10 & 31/5/10.) * Enquiry regarding sponsorship opportunities forwarded to Gareth George. * Enquiry received from Iona Campbell regarding MTB & triathlon training * Chance of advertising in Big Issue Scotland to coincide with feature celebrating national Bike Week * Link received from Lakes TV with 6 minute feature on Fred Whitton Challenge - http://bit.ly/97pJF3 * Request for timekeepers for world record attempt on pogo stick fastest mile. * Trail Cycle Leader training - Donald Hinton looking to gain experience with ERC. * Junior Downhill - "Junior Downhill at Wolftrax Laggan on the 12th June 2010. Under 18, under 16, under 14, under 12 and under 10. Details are on www.wolfpaxriders.com and entry central." * Edinburgh Sports Facility Survey - "The City of Edinburgh Council is developing a sport facilities strategy. This is an important piece of work as it will guide the future investment in sports facilities for the next 10 years; therefore, the views of Edinburgh's sports clubs are extremely important to us. - Outdoor/pitch based clubs: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/99SMXPX" * Moda Junior Bikes - "Please find attached pictures of our brand new Moda Junior Road bikes. We have stock of these bikes in the UK now and are looking to support the Go ride programme and give kids the chance to ride a real road bikes that has been designed specifically for them. We have made no compromise in the design of these bikes, both are lightweight alloy frames and forks with Shimano Sora groupset. Lightweight wheels and ergonomic fitting kits including handlebars and chainsets. The two sizes are 650 wheel 44cm frame and 24" wheel 38mm frame. Prices are £499 and £479 respectively. We would be happy to discuss with you the possibility of a fleet discount if this was something you were looking to do in the near future. www.eurobike.uk.com" * Request from Julie Miller "I am from a large cycling club in central Florida , USA. We currently have about 500 members and are exploring some options to protect us legally and financially. We actually currently do not have much in the way of a treasury and rely on volunteerism and specific donations if we need anything. I am just curious to know more about the organization and administration of your club to help us in our direction. Can you provide a contact for me to possibly pose questions to? Thank you for any assistance you can provide in the way of Q & A. www.seminolecyclist.org is our website if you want to have a preliminary look." * New cycling event in Mallorca - http://www.mallorca312.com * Request for advice on best cycle route from Forth Bridge to Lasswade/Bonnyrigg. * Activcity funding info forwarded to Gareth George. * Nevis Range literature received * Loch Tay Openwater Swim camps leaflets - 6/6/10, 26/6/10, 31/7/10 * Cycle Ballymoney Cycle Routes brochures * Highland Perthshire Race Series 2010 - Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon * Certificate - ERC third in the 2009 triathlonscotland Club ranking Series
* Current membership now stands at 520 * Meeting held with KW & CW to review updates to youth policy and insurance * Stock take done on race signage and requirement for new ones established Treasurer
* After initial teething problems a double sponsorship payment was received from Field and Lawn at the start of June. * A final set of figures has not yet been completed for Ingliston by the race organiser but it is likely that it will have made a profit. The McCulloch and Spring Classic both made a small profit and the Meldons a small loss. * There have been two large payment since the last meeting, club clothing and levies for Ingliston, Super 6 and the junior X race. * The first reimbursements have been made to members of the men's team. * The paperwork for the sponsorship from RBS organised by Morag Lamont has been sent out but the funds have not yet been received.
1. progressing with MB7 skills courses 2. meeting with KW and GJ to sort out insurance issues for the MTB saturday ride
There have been further good results for the Squad in the last Month - Tom Lettice winning the Ythan RR, Calum Maclean taking 7th in the Muir of Ord RR, and Ross Crook taking a very creditable 11th in the Sam Robinson RR.
The availability of the core of the squad is being disrupted at present due to University exams, work commitments, etc. We are likely to lose a number of students for the summer though most have indicated that they will probably come back up for specific races.
Cancellation of a couple of races along with difficulty in getting in to others has somewhat disrupted the calendar in the last couple of weeks. Ensuring we get sufficient numbers into races remains a problem despite Calum Maclean's best efforts.
A meeting of the Men's Squad Management Team took place on 31st May. The main outcomes from the meeting were: o A formal Squad training session is being arranged for 16th June to be held on the Silverknowes circuit. The session will be run by Gareth George with input from Ken Russell. o Calum Maclean is attempting to arrange a Squad meeting to be hosted by Neil Muir. The idea is to provide a forum for discussion of what the Club coaches can do for the riders as well as providing some social time for the Squad. o The Team agreed to support an initiative to subsidise servicing of Squad members' race bikes. Gareth George is to approach LBS' to discuss a potential arrangement whereby they offer a discounted rate in return for a guaranteed work stream. o DA is to approach Colin Russell to see if a short course on pre-race bike preparation and basic maintenance for squad members could be arranged via The Bike Station. o Following discussion at the meeting, Calum Maclean is finalising the Squad programme for the remainder of the year. This is likely to include at least one Vets Race.
Women's Road Racing
Well done to the big turnout of ladies in the Spring Classic APR. Jo Merritt is doing a good job of actively encouraging further participation though her attempt to target the Lothian Flyer looks as if it may not come off due to a heavily oversubscribed entry.
Excellent results in the Musselburgh 25 where Ken Russell took 1st Overall, Jessica Wilson-Young 1st Lady and Ken, Colin McKenzie and Graham Jones were 1st Team.
Congratulations to Ali Chisholm for winning the ESCA 500 TT Championship and to Ross Crook for taking 2nd in the 10K. Colin McKenzie and Ross also just missed out on the podium in the Kilo.
* Club bike maintenance cost has been partly refunded.
Clothing & Youth
* Mini order from Reartu due shortly * 4 large club fleeces on order * Impsport design waiting on feedback after sending reartu top
* Triathlon June newsletter now out and well received. * Lochore practice day on 30th May a success * Strathclyde Scottish Sprint Champs - Brad Gilbert 1st MSV, Ben Mitchell 1st MV Scottish Champs, 2nd MV overall. * Stirling Sprint Triathlon - Martin Gore 4th overall.
n.b. It is committee policy not to publish details of club finances on the web - if you would like a full unabridged set of these minutes please contact club secretary Jonny May.